Experienced, Empathetic Advocacy In Family Law And Criminal Defense

Is your child support order not working for you?

On Behalf of | Dec 27, 2018 | Child Support

Raising children takes a lot of love, patience and money. If you have been through the divorce process, you and your ex likely have a child support agreement in place that, at the time of your divorce filing, made sense and worked for your children’s needs. If that support order is no longer working for you, the state of Texas does allow you to seek a modification.

Let’s face it, it is impossible to predict the future. When you divorced, there was no way of knowing how your income level might change over the years. There was no way of knowing exactly how your children’s needs might change over time. A support amount was set solely based on your income level and children’s needs at that time.

It does not matter if you are the parent who has been ordered to pay support or if you are the one on the receiving end, you may seek a support adjustment if you feel it is necessary. There are two ways to go about doing this. You can either try to negotiate a new support agreement with your ex or you can file an official modification request in court and let the court decide if the change is warranted.

No matter how you go about seeking a change to your child support order, legal counsel can be there to help you through the process. At the end of the day, the state of Texas just wants to make sure the ordered child support amount provides for the affected child’s needs. To learn more about child support and post-decree modifications, please take a moment and visit our firm’s website.